Thursday, July 11, 2013

Word.

I try pretty hard to keep up with trending things. I teach eighth graders and so being authentic and relatively in touch matters. I often risk my dignity if it means making a connection with kids. All my colleagues do that too....that is why we are bound so tightly as friends. We are in the trenches together. You see, relationship is the name of the game in eighth grade. As it should be in life. 

 I tell my students from day one that words matter. Words are powerful. Which is probably how the slang term for agreement , "Word" came to be. I've wanted to say it a lot lately.

I've been reflecting on some of the comments I've heard about Glenn since his death. There have been so many.The first was from this weird little online poker community he had formed. One person from Europe told me that she was suicidal but Glenn convinced her to try living another day, and another after that. Just by the power of his words.
Word.

Another friend told me of wise words he had shared with her about loving the most unloveable of our children, because they are the ones that need it the most.
Word

A card arrived that told me about a person we know who came to St.Pauls and was feeling "invisible". Glenn's presence and handshake made them feel as if they mattered and were again visible in the world.
Word.

I told my mother the other night that Glenn always told me to give voice to my fears, because then the fear loses its power over you. As she transitions to a new chapter as well, she told me she often thinks of that, voices her fears, and it helps her. 
Word.

I hope somewhere he knows that he made a difference in the lives of so many people and that they carry his words with them.
Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment